Thursday, September 4, 2008

Chapter 2: Human Communication Process in Small Groups

  • What principles do you think people should follow to be effective communicators?
Remember that it's important to be aware of others around you: their feelings, thoughts, and concerns. It's best to put others before yourself. My mothers advice before I went to college my freshmen year was, "Kaylee, allow everyone in the room to speak then you can talk."
USE the principles of communication!:
1. Human communication is Symbolic (Meanings must be interpreted).
2. Communication is personal (meanings are in people not in words).
3. Communication is a transactional process (effective communication should keep going).
4. Communication is not always intentional (the absence of communication is communication itself).
5. Communication involves content and relationship dimensions (always be conscience of the content and the relationship).

These are just a few principles to follow to reach our goal of effective communication.

  • What factors interfere with your ability to listen?

The communication transactional process can be hard for anyone. In a large class in College students may feel disconnected or lost from the content which the teacher is trying to communicate. In most of my classes I have an ability to listen and participate effectively, but noise and interference often times break in. After about an hour of class my mind starts to drift and I have a harder time paying attention. Also, many of my classes are before lunch so when the clock hits about eleven my stomach starts to growl. Having ADD doesn't help and I often find my mind on a completely different topic than what the teacher is currently addressing. But I am learning to become a more effective communicator and I am trying to take all of the principles I've learned and apply them in the real world.

1 comment:

BrookeBraysonPhotography said...

yeah your right this is for classsssssss