Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Chapter 3: Verbal & Nonverbal Messages in Small Group Communication

1. What verbal communicative habits are most frustrating to you, and why?

The most frustrating communicative habits are when someone doesn't pay attention to what I am saying. It's annoying when I am talking to someone and they look away. It's also frustrating when they become distracted easily by the noise around us. The most annoying habit is when people talk about themselves and what they are interested in and give no feedback to what I am saying.

2. What kinds of "typical male" behaviors frustrate you the most, and why?

One of the annoying "typical male" behaviors is when my Dad simply ends an argument with, "...well, it's my house and that's how it goes." He gives no thought to my opinions and cuts off all means of communication with this controlling statement. Outside my father, men who act like they are superior to my thought frustrate me greatly. When I am talking to them they belittle my ideas and often make me feel stupid and indifferent to the situation at hand. In the home school speech and debate leagues I often faced many prideful men who placed me as below their notice or intellectual level. Thus, they would dismiss all of my comments, no matter if they were right or not; as frivolous. Needless to say, I forgive them and my father, though he often pulls out the "my house" card. :)

No comments: