Friday, September 26, 2008

Chapter 8: Communication and Group Culture

1. What is the most unproductive or annoying norm you have ever observed in a group? How could you try to change that norm?

The most annoying norm is when one person in the group takes charge and does not allow for cohesiveness among the group members. Though one person taking charge may be productive it's important for the group to have a well-rounded group effort. I can help change this norm by making sure that everyone is included in the decision making process and by making sure I am not "that person," who is taking over the group.

2. What is the most harmful individualistic behavior you have observed in a group? How did you deal with that behavior?

I think the most harmful behavior is when one person takes charge and gives no room for other input. It's hard to deal with someone who thinks they are better than the rest of the group and that they know what's best for the group. When I feel bothered by someone like that in a group I generally tend to stay away from them. But when that person comes in direct contact with me or my group, I usually take them aside and ask if we can resolve this issue. If they refuse to resolve our differences face to face I ask for a group meeting and we discuss how to resolve the problems at hand.

No comments: